This recipe is super simple! It takes time and attention, but
the versatile final product is well worth it!
2 lbs. Onions - about 5 medium onions
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp butter
Pinch of salt
Peel and slice onions evenly from top to bottom. Put the oil, butter and onions in a pot on medium heat. Add onions and salt, stir to coat with the oils and reduce heat to medium low. Let onions cook slowly while stirring often until golden brown. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Set a timer to stir every 5 minutes.
- I cook onions while I’m already in the kitchen prepping a meal.
- Once the onions begin turning brown stay with the pot because the caramelization happens quickly during the last 10 – 15 minutes.
- Some people add a tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar. It will sweeten the onions and add a little bit of an acidic flavor. Use balsamic if it compliments your final dish
- Some people add a little bit sugar to sweeten the onions. This can add a different flavor level to the onions. Use sugar if it compliments your final dish
- An essential component to a Patty Melt or Turkey Melt
- Delicious on burgers, tacos, burritos or salads
- The beginnings of French Onion Dip and French Onion Soup