The Big Greek Salad
This is a showy dish that is easy to put together and delicious to eat. I serve this on a large platter with 2 sets of salad forks. It's a good center piece to continue to eat off of when the after dinner conversations continue.
Serves 4-6 people
Salad - Combine in a large bowl
1 head romaine lettuce - tear into large bite size pieces
1 red onion - medium - thinly sliced
¾ cup pitted Kalamata olives
2 cups tomatoes - seed and dice. Use whatever varieties are freshest.
1 cucumber- remove seeds and slice
1 cup feta cheese - crumble
Dressing - Add ingredients in a glass jar and shake well
½ cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
1 garlic cloves - grated
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Pour dressing over salad, toss well and present on a large platter. Serve with warm crusty bread or pita.
- Use spring green, baby spinach or simply add some to the romaine
- Add chopped red or yellow bell peppers
- Add ½ tsp Dijon mustard to the dressing for a little more spice
- Add fresh basil leaves to the salad
- A good green or black olive can be used or any combination of good olives